Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

School Days

This week, I am officially the mother of a 4th grader, 1st grader, pre-schooler, and toddler. My oldest, known here as MonkeyBug, will be going back to her father's tomorrow night. School begins on Thursday for here. I know she's excited.
My PixyChick will be starting school next Tuesday. She's definetly excited. She's spent all summer working on her letter sounds, spelling, reading, sounding things out, and of course drawing. Drawing is her favorite thing to do, and she loves illustrating the stories she comes up with.
Bear, well, his speech is not the best. So he will hopefully be attending some preschool this year to help develop his speech to where it should be. Just need to have that screening appointment with the therapist or whatever completed.
I'm excited at the prospect of having 3 out of 4 kids in school. It feels strange to think next year my little man should be in Kindergarten. It definetly has me seriously thinking it's time to go back to school myself. Of course, since I want to be a teacher, this means school for the rest of my life. Summers off? Winter breaks. Spring break. Sounds good to me. That, and it's the one thing I've wanted to do since I was 7 and in second grade. I want to teach High School English. I'm going to use the School House Rock stuff in my curriculum. How many of us can still remember those catchy tunes, like "conjunction junction, what's your function..." Senior year I moved to a new school, where 600 students being the school size suddenly became my class size. Culture shock. The most depressing part was senior english. Those kids STILL didn't know the difference between verbs, adverbs, adjectives... and none of them knew what the heck I was talking about when I tried to help by using School House Rock lyrics to study. I'd decided a few years before that about becoming an english teacher, but that right there sealed the deal. Somewhere, at some time, somebody failed those kids very badly. So, I guess with my own babies getting into school, it's time to go back myself. Study and homework time can become a family event.
Please excuse me, I need to see where I put that last shred of sanity.....

No comments: